Single-person households and nuclear families have gained increasing popularity in recent years, especially in big cities. From my perspective, while this way of life is beneficial to a certain extent, it is more likely to have negative impacts on family core values and the well-being of the elderly.
Living alone or living in small family units can be deemed advantageous and necessary for some reasons. To a certain degree, living alone offers people a sense of freedom. Issues inherent in living with others such as hygiene and private spaces are non-existent if one lives in solitude. Furthermore, some people believe that a small family consisting of only the parents and their children are financially stable. Smaller families mean the expenses are also minimal, and money-related issues can be handled more easily compared to bigger ones.
However, this trend can also be very harmful in several ways. Firstly, the bonding between generations, which can be found in extended families, may become weakened. This is especially true to people who are forced to study or work far away from their relatives, especially grandparents. For the elderly, living alone leaves them in a vulnerable state. Besides the feeling of loneliness brought by the lack of emotional support, old people normally encounter difficulties in doing daily tasks since they are physically weak. As a result, casualties or even death cases owing to unfortunate accidents are inevitable.
In conclusion, my firm conviction is that while living alone or in a nuclear family is somewhat beneficial, it has more negative influences on the family bonds and leaves aged people susceptible to many potential risks.
1. Single-person households: Gia đình có 1 người (paraphrase cho living alone)
2. Nuclear family: Gia đình hạt nhân (có 2 thế hệ cha mẹ và con)
3. Core values: Giá trị cốt lõi
4. Well-being: Sự hạnh phúc, thịnh vượng
5. Deem: Xem xét
6. Inherent in: Hiện hữu, tồn tại trong…
7. Non-existent: Không tồn tại
8. Solitude: Sự một mình, sự đơn độc (nghĩa tốt)
9. Bonding: Sự gắn kết
10. Vulnerable: Dễ bị tổn thương
11. Inevitable: Không thể tránh khỏi
12. Susceptible: Dễ bị tổn thương (tương đương vulnerable)