Task 2: People can eat a wide variety of food that can be grown in other areas. As a result, people eat more food produced in other regions than local food. Do you think the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
The consumption of imported food has gained popularity in recent years. In my opinion, this has both positive and negative consequences in equal measure.
One distinct benefit of imported food is the fact that it offers consumers more choices. Thanks to the act of importing food, people from different countries are able to enjoy different kinds of produce that are non-existent in their home countries. Many of the delicacies we like, several of which would appear in our tonight’s dinner tables, are a mixture of ingredients indigenous to different parts of the world. Therefore, it would be a huge loss if we relied solely on local ingredients. Furthermore, foreign food encourages healthy competition among food processing companies, and this will eventually lead to increased food quality.
However, the drawbacks of imported food should not be overlooked. The act of transporting food from a country to another requires frequent use of airplanes, the most fuel-hungry means of transport in the world. A typical Boeing 747 burns thousands of gallons of fuel per flight, and such a huge amount of gasoline burnt is highly detrimental to the atmosphere. Moreover, preservatives are often added to perishable food so that it does not spoil during the transporting stage, and some people fear that such chemicals would be harmful for daily use.
In conclusion, I believe that the rise in the consumption of imported food can open up a better array of choices and add some spices to our meals, yet its effects on the environment and on our health should also be taken into great consideration.
-263 words- Written by IELTS Vietop
1. In equal measure (prepositional phrase): Có mức độ ngang nhau, tương đương nhau
2. Produce (n/U): Nông sản
3. Non-existent (n) Không tồn tại
4. Indigenous (adj) to: Thuộc về bản địa của
5. Overlook (v): Bỏ qua, xem thường
6. Preservatives (n) Chất bảo quản
7. Perishable food (n) Thức ăn dễ bị hư hỏng
8. Array (n) Một nhóm đa dạng
9. Take into consideration: Xem xét
1. Several of which: Số từ + of + mệnh đề quan hệ có thể được dùng để thêm thông tin về số lượng.
Ví dụ: I have three pens, all of which are originated from China.
2. It would be a huge loss if we relied on…: Mệnh đề điều kiện loại 2 miêu tả một sự việc trái với sự thật ở hiện tại