Trong quá trình luyện thi IELTS, chắc hẳn đôi lần bạn gặp phải câu hỏi vừa quen vừa lạ nhưng lại không biết nên dễ tả như thế nào. Và chủ đề describe a person you admire cũng nằm trong số đó. Đây là topic khá phổ biến trong bài thi IELTS Speaking part 2, IELTS Speaking part 3.
Nếu bạn đang cần ý tưởng cho chủ đề này thì bài viết dưới đây là một gợi ý hay cho bạn đấy nhé!
1. Cấu trúc câu hay cho bài talk about a person you admire
- I admire her/ him not only for… but also…: tôi ngưỡng mộ anh ấy/ cô không chỉ vì… mà còn…
- To set a good example by doing sth: làm gương thông qua…
- To be internationally well-known across all kinds of media: nổi tiếng trên nhiều phương tiện truyền thông
- Whenever I feel…, I turn to him/ her for advice/ comfort/ help: Mỗi khi tôi cảm thấy…, tôi tìm đến anh ấy/ cô ấy để có lời khuyên/ sự giúp đỡ/ sự vỗ về.
- When it comes to …, he/ she is the best: Khi …, anh ấy/ cô ấy là số một.
- To acquire a reputation as a successful businessman/ a television host/ a songwriter and singer: nổi tiếng với vai trò doanh nhân thành công/ người dẫn chương trình truyền hình/ người viết ca khúc và ca sĩ.
2. Từ vựng chủ đề Describe a person you admire
2.1. Từ vựng mô tả ngoại hình
- Curly/ wavy/ straight hair: Tóc xoăn/ dợn sóng/ thẳng
- A round face: một khuôn mặt tròn
- S hort/ long hair: tóc ngắn/ dài
- Shoulder-length hair: Tóc dài ngang vai
- Dark/ fair hair: Tóc đen/ sáng
- Bald: Hói:
- Grey/ black/ brown/ dark brown eyes: Mắt xám/ đen/ nâu/ nâu đậm
- Bright/ clear eyes: Mắt sáng/ rõ ràng
- Large/ small eyes: Mắt to/ nhỏ
- Hollow eyes: Đôi mắt trống rỗng
- Sparkling eyes: Đôi mắt lấp lánh
- A thin face: Khuôn mặt gầy gò
- An oval face: Khuôn mặt trái xoan
- A square face: Mặt vuông
- A heart-shaped face: Khuôn mặt hình trái tim
- Slim: Mảnh khảnh
- Thin/ fat: Gầy/ béo
- Skinny: Gầy
- Full-figured: Đầy đặn:
- Short/ tall: Thấp/ cao
2.2. Từ vựng mô tả tính cách
|Tích cực||Tiêu cực|
|Disciplined (a.: có kỷ luật||Bossy (a.): hống hách|
|Open-minded (a.): tư tưởng cởi mở||Selfish (a.): ích kỷ|
|Generous (a.): hào phóng||Toxic (a.): độc hại|
|Diligent/assiduous (a.): siêng năng||Arrogant (a.): kiêu căng|
|Resilient (a.): kiên cường||Narrow-minded (a.): hẹp hòi, bảo thủ|
|Trustworthy (a.): đáng tin cậy||Rude (a.): thô lỗ|
|Adaptive (a.): dễ thích nghi||Moody (a.): sớm nắng chiều mưa|
|Candid (a.): thẳng thắn, trung thực||Manipulative (a.): gian xảo (hay thao túng người khác)|
- Describe an object that you think is beautiful
- Describe a time when someone apologized to you
- Describe an advertisement you remember well
3. Describe a person you admire – IELTS Speaking part 2, 3
You should say: Describe a person you admire
- Who he/ she is
- How you know him/ her
- What characteristics this person has
- And explain why you admire this person.
I’m going to talk about my mom, who I think is the most wonderful person I’ve ever known. Currently, I’m living away from home since I’m going to college in a different city, but I still talk to her every day. She’s my source of inspiration and wisdom.
My mom is a great person. Not only is she smart and resilient but she’s also generous to other people around her. She was born in an impoverished family as my grandparents didn’t have much. She’s always told me that her only escape was education.
However, the first time she took the university exam, she failed due to the insurmountable pressure on her shoulder being the only hope of the family. My grandparents didn’t have more money to support her the following year, so for months, she hand reared a litter of piglets to make money. The year after that, with more experience, she aced the test, got to the university, and became a pharmacist 5 years after.
These days, she’s also a successful businesswoman with her own pharmacy. She told me the reason why she became a pharmacist was that she could take care of my grandparents. Nevertheless, she’s helped many more people in need. She donates her time and money to charitable organisations.
As a mother, she always teaches me to be fair and honest. I truly believe these characteristics have helped me a lot in life. And she’s the first person who comes to me whenever I feel unhappy.
These are the reasons why I admire my mom.
- Wisdom (n): sự thông thái
- Resilient (adj): kiên trì
- Impoverished (adj): nghèo khó
- Escape (n): lối thoát
- Insurmountable (adj): không thể vượt qua
- To ace sth: hoàn thành một cách xuất sắc
- Charitable organisation (adj + n): tổ chức từ thiện
Mời bạn cùng nghe Podcast bài mẫu Part 2 của IELTS Vietop nhé:
I’d like to discuss Adele, a renowned singer and songwriter whose recent release, “30,” has achieved chart-topping success in many countries. While “30” may not be as widely popular in Vietnam as it is in other nations, both my friends and I believe it is a resounding success both musically and emotionally.
My introduction to Adele dates back to her debut album, “19,” which was released over a decade ago. As a student at that time, I found her lyrics to be quite complex to decipher. However, I was captivated by her voice and her emotive singing style. I had a gut feeling that this talented artist would eventually become one of the most respected figures of our generation. Looking back now, it’s clear that my intuition was indeed on point.
To be candid, I wasn’t always a devoted fan of Adele. It was only in recent years that I rediscovered her music. I believe that as we grow older, it becomes easier for us to connect with the depth of her lyrical expression. Additionally, through news articles and interviews about her, I learned that Adele is an introvert who values her privacy deeply. Given this, I was surprised when I discovered that she had chosen to dedicate her entire latest album to her divorce, a topic most people would shy away from discussing publicly.
Speaking of Adele’s most recent album, “30” has garnered acclaim as a collection of honest, intimate, and heart-wrenching tracks that delve into Adele’s failed marriage. However, to me, it’s more about how she transforms her heartache into an optimistic journey, as evidenced by the final song on the album, which centers on self-love and hope. I believe this is a profoundly powerful message, and Adele’s “30” is something that everyone should listen to, whether they are currently facing hardships or not.
- Songwriter: nhạc sĩ
- Resounding: vang dội
- Emotionally: về mặt cảm xúc
- Decipher: giải mã
- Captivated: quyến rũ
- Rediscovered: được khám phá lại
- Introvert: sống nội tâm
- Acclaim: hoan hô
- Heartache: đau lòng
- Profoundly: sâu sắc
Mời bạn cùng nghe Podcast bài mẫu Part 2 của IELTS Vietop nhé:
I’d like to discuss Emma Watson, a figure I’ve always held in high esteem. She is not only a successful actress but also an activist who actively participates in numerous campaigns focused on gender equality.
To begin with, Emma Watson embodies strength, independence, and inspiration. Her speech at the UN addressing gender equality and women’s empowerment left a profound impact on me. It’s evident that Emma is unafraid to stand up for what she believes is right. I’ve gleaned invaluable lessons from both her and the characters she has portrayed in her films.
One of the most enduring lessons I’ve learned from her is that women have the capacity to achieve anything they desire, provided they are passionate and wholehearted in their pursuits. Her memorable quote, “I don’t want other people to decide who I am, I want to decide that for myself,” still resonates with me.
Secondly, Emma Watson exhibits exceptional kindness and generosity. Despite her demanding professional commitments, she dedicates her time to engage in various charitable endeavors. For instance, this year, Emma contributed $1 million to support victims of sexual harassment.
Lastly, she possesses a wonderful sense of humor. I’ve watched numerous interviews and talk shows featuring Emma on YouTube, and I must say, she has a knack for bringing laughter to those around her.
I hold a deep admiration for Emma Watson and harbor hopes of one day having the opportunity to meet her in person. Therefore, if I were to choose a celebrity I’d love to meet, it would unquestionably be Emma Watson.
- Describe a law on environmental protection
- Describe a website that you often use
- Describe a contest competition you would like to participate in
4. Describe a person you admire – IELTS Speaking part 3
4.1. What qualities, according to you, are required for any person to be admired?
For starters, the ability to lead people should be up there. When hard times come, it takes a special person for other people to rally behind and overcome the problems. It’s beneficial for a society to have a good leader. And the second quality, I think it’s selflessness. People who sacrifice themselves for the needs of other people should always get the recognition they deserve. Firefighters, rescuers and most recently, frontline workers in the pandemic are some of the examples.
- To be up there: quan trọng, xứng đáng được công nhận.
- To rally behind (phrasal verb): gia nhập, chung tay
- Selflessness (n): lòng vị tha
- Sacrifice (v): hi sinh
- Get the recognition one’s deserve: nhận được sự công nhận xứng đáng
- Rescuer (n): nhân viên cứu hộ
- Frontline worker (n): người làm tuyến đầu (trong việc chống dịch)
4.2. Do you think people who are famous are more admired than others?
Oh, this is a hard question. Come to think of it, it’s really easy to say yes to this question because there are megastars like Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and the band Black Pink. They’re universally loved for their talents. But not all famous people are admired. Some are just well-known by chance, like being born in an already famous family. Maybe, these people are envied but not admired. Whereas the unsung heroes in our societies, the firefighters, teachers, and doctors, may not be famous but they are look up to by many of us.
- Megastar (n): siêu sao
- Universally (adv): toàn cầu, một cách rộng rãi
- By chance (collocation): một cách ngẫu nhiên
- To envy (v): ganh tị
- Unsung hero (collocation): người hùng thầm lặng
4.3. Do you think it is important for everyone to have a role model?
Oh yes, definitely, especially when you’re young! And that important person can be your older brother or sister as well as your parents. You know, when children are growing up, they mirror a lot of the behaviours of people around them, especially the people they look up to and love. And the impact of this can last for a lifetime, so yes, it’s absolutely crucial!
- To mirror (v): bắt chước
- Lifetime (n): cả đời
- Look up to s.o (collocation): nói theo ai đó, lấy ai đó làm gương
- Impact (n): tác động
- Crucial (adj): quan trọng
Topic Describe a person you admire sẽ trở nên đơn giản hơn trong phần thi IELTS Speaking đúng không nào? Hy vọng những chia sẻ trên sẽ giúp ích được bạn trong quá trình ôn luyện IELTS. Nếu bạn có thắc mắc gì bài viết hãy để lại bình luận bên dưới để được giải đáp nhé!
Và nếu bạn vẫn chưa biết phương pháp nào luyện thi IELTS hiệu quả, thì hãy tham khảo Khóa học IELTS 1 kèm 1 tại Vietop nhé.