Trong cuộc sống, ai ai cũng muốn có nhiều mối quan hệ bạn bè. Nhiều bạn bè đồng nghĩa với việc ta biết thêm được nhiều điều mới từ họ như: lối sống, tính cách,… đặc biệt là những người bạn ngoại quốc.
Vậy theo bạn, điều thú vị khi có những người bạn ngoại quốc là gì? Cùng tìm hiểu qua bài viết Describe a foreign person who you have heard or known that you think is interesting – IELTS Speaking part 2, IELTS Speaking part 3 bên dưới nhé.
1. Describe a foreign person who you have heard or known that you think is interesting – IELTS Speaking part 2
Mời mọi người nghe Audio chủ đề Describe a foreign person who you have heard or known that you think is interesting tại đây nhé!
Describe a foreign person who you have heard or known that you think is interesting
You should say:
- who the person is
- how you knew him/her
- what kind of person he/she is
- and explain why you think he/she is interesting
I am going to talk about Komuro Mako, who was a princess in Japan until recently. She had to give up her royal title to marry her long-time boyfriend, who is a commoner. I didn’t really know about Japan’s marital practices. However, from what I’ve read, when a Japanese woman marries, she must change her last name to that of her husband. Since her husband is just a regular citizen, she also becomes one. The wedding has attracted so much drama and the couple must have been under much pressure.
A little bit more on Mako, I just got to know her from what the press has written about as well as the videos I’ve seen on social media. To me, she looks like what I expect from a princess. She’s always well-dressed in an elegant way and not too showy. Her demeanour is calm and when she answers the press, her gesture is polite and composed. She seems to be highly educated, in fact, her husband is her college sweetheart, whom she referred to as “irreplaceable” in an interview.
The reason why I’m interested in her is that her story seems like a modern-day fairy tale. She and her husband have endured so much just to be together. It’s very brave of her to follow her heart. That’s something that the rest of us can learn from. I wish her all the best with her new life.
- To give up (phrasal verb): từ bỏ
- Royal title (adj n): tước hiệu hoàng tộc
- Marital (adj): (thuộc về) hôn nhân
- To be under pressure: chịu áp lực
- Elegant (adj): sang trọng, quý phái
- Demeanour (n): thái độ, cử chỉ
- Gesture (n): cử chỉ (hình thể)
- Composed (adj): điềm đạm
- College sweetheart : mối tình từ thời đại học
- Fairy tale: chuyện cổ tích
Có thể bạn quan tâm:
- Cách học bảng chữ cái tiếng Anh
- Describe a person you follow on Social media
- Describe an electronic device
2. IELTS Speaking part 3: Foreigner
2.1. Do you have any foreign friends and do you think having foreign friends is a good way to know other countries?
Oh, I’ve got many friends from all sorts of countries since I used to frequent cultural exchange clubs in my city. Ever since the Covid Pandemic became dangerous, I’ve moved on to meeting people online using language exchange platforms. I’ve got the opportunity to teach people about my language and culture and receive others’ in return.
- To frequent (v): thường đến, lui tới
- Cultural exchange club: câu lạc bộ trao đổi văn hóa
- Move on to doing sth (phrasal verb): đổi sang, chuyển sang, thay đổi (sang kế hoạch khác)
2.2. Do you think it’s important to know the culture and language before going to another country?
Yes, it’s absolutely crucial to at least have essential knowledge about the customs as well as the taboos of a culture if you’re planning on travelling there. You will represent your country and culture there as well, so it is a must that you follow what they consider polite and good and avoid making a fool of yourself. As for the language, I think it’s a plus and a good way to show respect but it can be quite difficult to master a language. Besides, you can hire a local interpreter and create a job in the process.
- Crucial (adj): quan trọng
- Custom (n): tục lệ
- Taboo (n): điều cấm kị
- To represent (v): đại diện
- To make a fool of oneself (idiom): làm bản thân trông ngốc nghếch
- Interpreter (n): thông dịch viên
2.3. What do you think of people who work in international companies?
In my country, they are seen as having lucrative professions and are regarded as highly skilled labourers because they can work and communicate with foreigners. In order to work in an international environment, they ought to have great language skill and also excellent cultural sensitivity.
- Lucrative (adj): hời, làm ra nhiều tiền
- Highly skilled (adv adj): trình độ cao
- Cultural sensitivity (adj n): sự nhạy bén/nhạy cảm về mặt văn hóa.
2.4. What abilities do people need to have when working in an international company?
Apart from what I’ve just mentioned, being technologically literate is needed here. They have to communicate with their partners and co-workers overseas so they have to send hundreds of emails every month. Knowing your way around with a computer really helps.
- Apart from: ngoài ra
- Technologically literate (adv adj): thành thạo về công nghệ
Vậy là chúng ta vừa tìm hiểu thêm được một vài điều thú vị ở những người bạn nước ngoài rồi. IELTS Vietop hy vọng những chia sẻ về chủ đề describe a foreign person who you have heard or known that you think is interesting sẽ giúp được bạn trong quá trình ôn luyện IELTS Speaking. Chúc bạn đạt band điểm cao trong kì thi IELTS sắp tới nhé!