Trong bài viết IELTS Vietop đã tổng hợp từ vựng IELTS chủ đề Animals theo cụm từ để các bạn có thể áp dụng vào bài IELTS Writing Task 2 hoặc Speaking. Hy vọng nó sẽ giúp ích được cho các bạn nhé.
1. endangered species (n)
động vật bị đe dọa tuyệt chủng
The lizards are classed as an endangered species.
2. teetering on the brink of (phrase)
mấp mé bên bờ vực
The country teetered on the brink of war.
3. biodiversity (n)
sự đa dạng sinh học
the biodiversity of the rainforest
4. shrinking (adj)
nhỏ dần, thu hẹp dần
I’m worried about washing that shirt in case it shrinks.
5. green credentials (n)
uy tín về mặt môi trường (của các công ty)
The company has rebranded itself to promote its green credentials.
6. sustainable (adj)
A large international meeting was held with the aim of promoting sustainable development in all countries.
7. blood sports (n)
các môn thể thao gây hại đến động vật
Baiting is a blood sport used for entertainment and gambling.
8. poach (v)
săn bắn trái phép
Anybody you see with a piece of ivory has poached it.
9. vivisection (n)
hoạt động thí nghiệm trên động vật
Animals 'give' their lives in vivisection and the food industry.
10. mitigate (v)
làm xoa dịu, làm giảm nhẹ
It is unclear how to mitigate the effects of tourism on the island.
11. encroach on (v)
Farmers encroached on forest land to grow crops.
12. pose a threat to (v)
là mối đe dọa
Pollution poses a threat to fish.
13. in captivity (prep. phrase)
trong giam cầm
animals bred in captivity
14. barbaric (adj)
The way the whales are killed is nothing short of barbaric.
15. instrumental in (adj)
He was instrumental in developing links with European organizations.
16. abolish (v)
loại bỏ, xóa bỏ
Slavery was abolished in the US in the 19th century.
Exercise 1: Circle the correct answers.
- Vivisection/Poaching is an act of carrying out experiments on animals.
- Instrumental/Sustainable tourism is the concept of visiting somewhere as a tourist and trying to make a positive impact on the environment, society, and economy.
- They are cutting down on air travel in an effort to improve their green biodiversity/credentials.
- It is unclear how to mitigate/poach the effects of tourism on the island.
- Some people believe that killing animals for sport is barbaric/sustainable and brutal.
Exercise 2: Fill in each blank with ONE word.
- There are 13 species in this area that are teetering ________ the brink of extinction.
- Poaching has posed a serious threat ________ antlers in this area.
- Wild animals living________ captivity are reported to be weakened.
- Farmers encroach ________ forest land to grow crops.
- Experiments on cows were ________ in developing the vaccine that eliminated smallpox worldwide
Exercise 3: Fill in each blank with ONE word from the given list. You may need to change the word form if necessary.
- Sundance is emphasizing its green _________ more than ever this year.
- My firm conviction is that vivisection must be _________ at all cost.
- New houses were built, _________ on the land where there once was a lot of trees.
- To do so you would have to keep careful pedigree records of caddises bred in _________, and breeding them is difficult.
- The natural habitats have been _________ on an unprecedented scale.
MỘT SỐ CÂU HỎI THƯỜNG GẶP CHO CHỦ ĐỀ ANIMALS
1. Wild animals have no place in the 21st century, and the protection is a waste of resources. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2. Some people feel that it is always wrong to keep animals in captivity, for instance in zoos. Other people say that there are benefits for animals and for humans. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
3. Nowadays animal experiments are widely used to develop new medicines and to test the safety of other products. Some people argue that these experiments should be banned because it is morally wrong to cause animals to suffer, while others are in favor of them because of their benefits to humanity. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
4. Far too little has been done to prevent animals and plants from dying out, although people have been aware of this problem for a long time. Why do people do so little about it? Give your suggestions on how to solve this problem.
5. The movement of people from agricultural areas to cities to work can cause serious problems in both places. What are the serious problems and what measures can be taken to solve this problem?
Writing by IELTS Vietop.