Hôm nay IELTS VIETOP sẽ mang đến cho các “sĩ tử” 1 bài mẫu IELTS Speaking Part 2, 3 chủ đề Puzzle.
Cùng xem bài mẫu bên dưới nhé!
1. Đề bài
Describe a (jigsaw, crossword, etc.) puzzle you have played
You should say:
- what it is like
- how easy or difficult it is
- how long it takes you to solve
- And how you feel about it
I’m going to talk about the first time that I played a puzzle called Sudoku in a newspaper. I was 10 or 11 years old at that time and I had an assignment from class to read a newspaper. I had asked my dad to buy me a printed copy “Tuổi Trẻ” newspaper which was one of the most popular and respected news source in Vietnam. Well, it is still popular today but I now read it online.
I remember I was flipping through the pages when I encountered the “puzzle page”. On that page, there was a picture of a big square and it was divided evenly into 81 square boxes so each side of the square has 9 boxes. Some of those boxes had a random number from 1 to 9 in each of them, while some others were blank.
I became interested and I read the instructions. The only rule of this puzzle is to write a number from 1 to 9 in each of the blank boxes until all of them are filled and you must calculate so that in any vertical, horizontal and diagonal line there must not be repeated numbers.
First, I thought solving it was easy and I began jotting down my answer but there was always a flaw somewhere in my game so I ended up spending a whole day solving that piece of puzzle. Eventually, I finished and I was on cloud nine for a moment but then I remembered that I hadn’t finished my newspaper report. That night, I pulled an all-nighter.
- to flip (v): lật trang giấy/sách
- be divided (v) + into: được chia thành
- vertical (adj): thẳng
- horizontal (adj): ngang
- diagonal (adj): chéo
- flaw (n): lỗi, điểm chưa hoàn chỉnh
- eventually (adv): dần dần
- to be on cloud nine (expression): rất sung sướng
- all-nighter (n): đêm thức trắng
1. Why do parents let their children play puzzles?
Well I guess that has to do with the children’s intellectual development. Parents hope that by giving their children puzzles to solve at a young age, the children can learn to think and analyse the problems they are given. Maybe this gets them into the habit of looking for helpful cues and using them to come up with solutions. This is way better than letting your child watch Youtube videos all day.
- intellectual (adj): liên quan đến trí thông minh
- to analyse (v): phân tích
- cue (n): manh mối, gợi ý
2. What kinds of puzzles improve people’s intelligence?
I’m not 100 percent sure but I think the rubik cube is one of the most useful puzzles out there. It could be used to enhance one’s mental capacity. It has a rule that you must follow in order to solve the cube but the cube is different every time so you must come up with different answers each time. It’s very stimulating.
- to enhance (v): gia tăng
- mental capacity (noun phrase): năng lực trí tuệ
3. Why are detective stories attractive to people?
I think, generally, we are fascinated by mysteries and we love solving puzzles. Detective stories are puzzles in story form. So when we read or listen about these stories, we try to come to our own conclusions with the information we are presented with. The process is entertaining and when the answers are revealed, it could be extremely satisfying if we get the right ones.
- To be presented (v) + with: được cho biết
- To be revealed (v): được tiết lộ
4. Which do you think is better? A detective movie or its original novel?
Oh, this is hard but I have to give it to original written works. While movies can be visually appealing, they aren’t as thrilling as reading a book. In the book, you can have the feelings that you are the main character trying to solve a case. On the other hand, watching a movie is like watching someone else working on a puzzle. It is less captivating to me!
- I have to give it to + something (expression): tôi phải công nhận
- visually appealing (adv + adj): đẹp mắt
- thrilling (adj):ly kỳ, hồi hợp
- captivating (adj): hấp dẫn
Hữu ích cho bạn: Tài liệu luyện kỹ năng Speaking phân theo cấp độ
Hy vọng rằng bài mẫu trên đây sẽ giúp ích được cho bạn trong quá trình luyện thi IELTS. Chúc các bạn có kết quả thi thật tốt!