Part 1 – Topic Outdoor Activities
- Do you like outdoor activities?
Yes, I do, but only under clement weather, for sure. When having some time to spare, It just feels absolutely amazing to just breathe in some fresh air at the park, for example I do think it is a good way to recharge my battery after long working hours.
- Clement weather: thời tiết đẹp
- Recharge one’s battery: sạc lại năng lượng cho ai đó
- What outdoor activities do you most like to do?
When it comes to outdoor activities, I must say playing sports and going on picnics are my favorites. We often hang out on the weekends at the park within walking distance from my home and enjoy each other’s company. I really love to spend quality time with my friends and family members on a nice, sunny day out.
- Be within walking distance: chỉ khoảng cách rất gần, có thể đi
- What are some common outdoor activities where you live?
I would say it varies among individuals. Younger generations would go for more active hobbies like playing sports, or traveling, whereas the old are prone to less physically demanding activities like going for a stroll in the park or gardening.
- Be prone to s.th: có xu hướng nghiêng về cái gì
- Physically demanding: cần dùng nhiều sức
Describe an outdoor activity that you like doing.
You should say
- what this activity is
- when you do it
- where you do it
And explain why you like it.
When I see this cue card, snorkeling crosses my mind as an outdoor activity I really enjoy doing. To define what it is, snorkeling is the practice of swimming on or under the water to fully observe the marine creatures in a natural setting. It is a friendly activity and almost anyone can do it without much preparation. All you have to do is to have yourself equipped with a diving mask, an L-shaped breathing tube called the snorkel and a pair of swim fins. These are often provided by the snorkeling tour agency so that shouldn’t be a big problem. Maybe a training session would come in handy for those who are not familiar with swimming equipment.
To tell the truth , I think it would be as easy as pie to me since I already know how to swim and control my breath under the water. As to why I enjoy this outdoor activity, snorkeling is one of the most rewarding activities because you can do it all year round. Last summer, I had a trip to the beach to do it whenever I can without having to worry too much about freak weather conditions. I have always had a soft spot for watching oceanic species and I could not miss the chance to observe those beautiful creatures with my naked eye.
What’s more, I think I had a whale of a time snorkeling with my friends, who were also fond of doing such an extraordinary activity.
- Snorkelling (n): lặn ống thở
- Marine creature: sinh vật biển
- Diving mask: mặt nạ lặn
- Fins (n): chân vịt
- As easy as pie: dễ như ăn bánh
- Rewarding (adj): có nhiều lợi ích
- Freak weather condition: thời tiết bất thường
- Have a soft spot for s.th: yêu thích điều gì
- See/observe s.th one’s naked eye: thấy tận mắt
- Would you say people work outdoors today more than they did 20 years ago?
I personally don’t believe that. There is less need for outdoor employment now that there are so many forms of in-office positions. Moreover, working outside or labor work is virtually seen as “low class.” But as a result, most middle-class working people don’t exercise enough, which leaves them frail and more prone to illness.
- Are there any outdoor activities that many people used to do but which most people don’t do now?
I would definitely say walking. People still walk, but not as frequently as they did in the past, due to the development of modernized modes of transportation. It is quite obvious how people walk far less to get to work, the store, or anywhere they need to go, all because they have different kinds of private and public transport.
- How do you think climate and the environment affect what activities people do outdoors ?
As I see it, you cannot do several activities when it is boiling hot or freezing cold outside. It is neither pleasurable nor safe to plan such activities in extreme weather conditions. Plus, most people turn to outdoor activities for the purpose of enjoying the fresh air and some good breeze, which seem to be unachievable in polluted concrete jungles.
- Boiling hot (adj): nóng cháy da
- Freezing cold (adj): lạnh thấu xương
- Concrete jungle: chỉ những thành phố toàn là nhà cao tầng, không có cây cối
- Do you think the air quality in your hometown has improved or worsened in recent years ?
Sadly, it is impossible for the air to get any better due to the alarming pollution rate. More people have purchased cars in recent years, more factories have been built, and the air quality has only become worse. Carbon footprint and exhaust fumes are slowly deteriorating humans in all aspects, causing serious respiratory diseases and reduced longevity.
- Carbon footprint: khí thải CO2
- Deteriorate (v): làm suy yếu, phá huỷ
- Respiratory disease: bệnh về đường hô hấp
Hy vọng những gợi ý cho Topic Outdoor Activities đã giúp bạn thật nhiều trong quá trình ôn luyện IELTS nhé! Và nếu có bất kỳ thắc mắc gì thì hãy LIÊN HỆ với Vietop để được tư vấn bạn nhé.