Trong quá trình luyện thi IELTS, chắc hẳn đôi lần bạn gặp phải câu hỏi vừa quen vừa lạ nhưng lại không biết nên dễ tả như thế nào. Và chủ đề “Describe a person you admire” cũng nằm trong số đó. Đây là topic khá phổ biến trong bài thi IELTS Speaking Part 2, 3.
Nếu bạn đang cần ý tưởng cho chủ đề này thì bài viết dưới đây là một gợi ý hay cho bạn đấy nhé!
Describe a person you admire
You should say:
- who he/ she is
- how you know him/ her
- what characteristics this person has
- and explain why you admire this person.
I’m going to talk about my mom, who I think is the most wonderful person I’ve ever known. Currently, I’m living away from home since I’m going to college in a different city, but I still talk to her every day. She’s my source of inspiration and wisdom.
My mom is a great person. Not only is she smart and resilient but she’s also generous to other people around her. She was born in an impoverished family as my grandparents didn’t have much. She’s always told me that her only escape was education.
However, the first time she took the university exam, she failed due to the insurmountable pressure on her shoulder being the only hope of the family. My grandparents didn’t have more money to support her the following year, so for months, she hand reared a litter of piglets to make money. The year after that, with more experience, she aced the test, got to the university, and became a pharmacist 5 years after.
These days, she’s also a successful businesswoman with her own pharmacy. She told me the reason why she became a pharmacist was that she could take care of my grandparents. Nevertheless, she’s helped many more people in need. She donates her time and money to charitable organisations.
As a mother, she always teaches me to be fair and honest. I truly believe these characteristics have helped me a lot in life. And she’s the first person who comes to me whenever I feel unhappy.
These are the reasons why I admire my mom.
- inspiration (n)
- wisdom (n): sự thông thái
- resilient (adj): kiên trì
- impoverished (adj): nghèo khó
- escape (n): lối thoát
- insurmountable (adj): không thể vượt qua
- to ace sth: hoàn thành một cách xuất sắc
- charitable organisation (adj + n): tổ chức từ thiện
1. What qualities, according to you, are required for any person to be admired?
For starters, the ability to lead people should be up there. When hard times come, it takes a special person for other people to rally behind and overcome the problems. It’s beneficial for a society to have a good leader. And the second quality, I think it’s selflessness. People who sacrifice themselves for the needs of other people should always get the recognition they deserve. Firefighters, rescuers and most recently, frontline workers in the pandemic are some of the examples.
- to be up there: quan trọng, xứng đáng được công nhận.
- to rally behind (phrasal verb): gia nhập, chung tay
- selflessness (n): lòng vị tha
- sacrifice (v): hi sinh
- get the recognition one’s deserve: nhận được sự công nhận xứng đáng
- rescuer (n): nhân viên cứu hộ
- frontline worker (n): người làm tuyến đầu (trong việc chống dịch)
2. Do you think people who are famous are more admired than others?
Oh, this is a hard question. Come to think of it, it’s really easy to say yes to this question because there are megastars like Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and the band Black Pink. They’re universally loved for their talents. But not all famous people are admired. Some are just well-known by chance, like being born in an already famous family. Maybe, these people are envied but not admired. Whereas the unsung heroes in our societies, the firefighters, teachers, and doctors, may not be famous but they are look up to by many of us.
- megastar (n): siêu sao
- universally (adv): toàn cầu, một cách rộng rãi
- by chance (collocation): một cách ngẫu nhiên
- to envy (v): ganh tị
- unsung hero (collocation): người hùng thầm lặng
3. Do you think it is important for everyone to have a role model?
Oh yes, definitely, especially when you’re young! And that important person can be your older brother or sister as well as your parents. You know, when children are growing up, they mirror a lot of the behaviours of people around them, especially the people they look up to and love. And the impact of this can last for a lifetime, so yes, it’s absolutely crucial!
- to mirror (v): bắt chước
- lifetime (n): cả đời
- look up to s.o (collocation): noi theo ai đó, lấy ai đó làm gương
- impact (n): tác động
- crucial (adj): quan trọng
Topic: Describe a person you admire sẽ trở nên đơn giản hơn trong phần thi IELTS Speaking đúng không nào? Hy vọng những chia sẻ trên sẽ giúp ích được bạn trong quá trình ôn luyện IELTS. Nếu bạn có thắc mắc gì bài viết hãy để lại bình luận bên dưới để được giải đáp nhé!
Và nếu bạn vẫn chưa biết phương pháp nào luyện thi IELTS hiệu quả, thì hãy tham khảo Khóa học IELTS 1 kèm 1 tại Vietop nhé.