IDIOM (Idiomatic Expressions): được hiểu là thành ngữ – là những cụm từ mà người bản xứ thường dùng trong giao tiếp hàng ngày; cũng giống như tiếng Việt, Idioms (thành ngữ) thường được hiểu theo nghĩa bóng và được coi như cách diễn đạt riêng của văn hoá Phương Tây.
Chính vì vậy, việc sử dụng chính xác và hiệu quả Idioms for IELTS Speaking sẽ giúp thí sinh nâng cao hiệu quả giao tiếp, sự tự nhiên và giúp các bạn cải thiện band điểm của mình.
Trong phần IELTS Speaking, miêu tả người là phần xuất hiện thường xuyên trong bài thi IELTS.
Bài viết dưới đây, IELTS VIETOP gửi tới các bạn 25 Idioms mô tả người thông dụng và hiệu quả trong phần thi IELTS Speaking.
25 Idioms miêu tả người trong IELTS Speaking
1. An Eager beaver
One who is industrious and enthusiastic (perhaps annoyingly so) – người làm việc chăm chỉ, hăng hái
- Give that big project to the new girl, she’s a real eager beaver.
- Aren’t you an eager beaver, getting to the office an hour early.
Unpretentious and sensible – Nói về những người rất thực tế, có ý thức và rất khiêm tốn.
- If you are down to earth, you are very realistic and practical
- I was surprised that she was so sweet and down-to-earth, given her considerable wealth.
3. All things to all people
Liked or appreciated by everyone, usually through overt efforts to please them – Người được lòng tất cả mọi người.
- I know you want your students to like you, but you have to discipline them when they misbehave. You can’t be all things to all people.
- I don’t trust that candidate—he is trying to be all things to all people and still hasn’t committed to a clear course of action.
- We can’t be all things to all people, we need to live for ourselves.
4. Apple of (one’s) eye
One that is treasured – người được yêu mến (và khiến ai đó tự hào).
- Her grandson is the apple of her eye.
- You are the apple of my eye.
5. Couch potato
A person who spends much time sitting or lying down, usually watching television – người dành phần lớn thời gian ngồi xem TV, ít vận động.
- Don’t be such a couch potato. There are better ways of spending your time than in front of the TV.
- I can be a bit of a couch potato on the weekend.
- Tổng hợp từ vựng tiếng Anh về Tính cách con người
- Từ vựng miêu tả con người
- Từ vựng tiếng Anh về bộ phận cơ thể người
6. Social butterfly
Someone who enjoys frequently mingling with other people at social events – thân thiện, hòa đồng, chơi với nhiều nhóm bạn.
- Tom’s always been something of a social butterfly, so we’ve never really worried about him making friends or finding his way in the world.
- She used to be quite the social butterfly, but no one has heard from her in weeks.
- He’s been a real “social butterfly” this past weekend. He hanged out with 5 different groups of friends in two days.
7. Party animal
A person who spends a lot of time or is most preoccupied with partying and revelry – người thích tiệc tùng.
- He’s too much of a party animal for me. I’m looking for someone who’s more responsible.
8. (to be) a daydreamer
Someone who often thinks about being somewhere else or doing something else rather than what they are doing in the present – người mơ mộng
- I’m still a bit of a daydreamer.
- He was a daydreamer who grew sullen when faced with textbooks.
9. Go-getter (người tham vọng)
Một người luôn có tham vọng theo đuổi mục tiêu của mình.
- He is a real go-getter; he isn’t afraid to take a risk.
- In every change there is great opportunity and adventure to be found – if only you look for it. Be proactive. Be a go-getter.
10. (to be) as pretty as a picture
Used to describe someone who looks very visually attractive or appealing; having a picturesque beauty – đẹp như tranh vẽ
- The girls Alex dates are always pretty as a picture, but don’t have much going on between their ears.
- This part of the country looks as pretty as a picture in the summertime.
11. (to be) as skinny as a rake
Used to describe someone who is very thin – gầy như que
- When I was young I was as skinny as a rake. These days I’m quite fat and overweight.
- He eats like a horse and yet he’s as thin as a rake.
12. Man/Woman of his word
Someone who keeps their promises, a person who can be expected to keep or follow through with his promises or intentions; a truthful, trustworthy, or reliable person. – Người giữ lời hứa (luôn thực hiện lời hứa của mình).
- You can trust him – he’s a man of his word.
- Every brave man is a man of his word.
13. (to be) a jack of all trades (master of none): someone who is quite skilled in many different areas, but none in particular – Người mà lĩnh vực gì cũng biết nhưng chẳng thực sự giỏi lĩnh vực nào.
An artist with the right technology can become a jack-of-all-trades.
14. (to be) a dark horse
Used to describe someone who has a surprising skill or ability that people aren’t aware of, a person who keeps their interests and ideas secret, especially someone who has a surprising ability or skill.
- Anna’s such a dark horse – I had no idea she’d published a novel.
15. Behind the times/ A Fuddy-Duddy
Behaving in an outdated or unpopular way/ Lacking the latest information on a particular subject – lạc hậu
- Of course grandpa doesn’t have a cell phone—he’s behind the times, as usual.
- Wait, Joe and Mara broke up? Wow, I’m behind the times!
16. Big mouth
Someone who is not able to keep a secret, someone who has a tendency or habit of speaking incessantly and indiscreetly, especially about sensitive or secret information – người lắm mồm, người nhiều chuyện, không giữ bí mật
- If I’d known you had such a big mouth, I’d have never shared my secret with you!
- He went and opened his big mouth and told them the whole story.
17. The life and soul of the party
Someone who is energetic and funny and at the centre of activity during social occasions – tâm điểm của bữa tiệc
- He was regularly seen attending nightclubs and discos, and was generally the life and soul of the party.
- Bill is definitely the life and soul of the party—he’s currently trying to get everyone up to dance!
18. Know-It-All / Smart Alec
A person who thinks that they know much more than other people – biết tuốt
- There is nothing more annoying than working with a know-it-all who constantly tries to outdo everyone else.
19. Cold fish
Someone who has very little emotions, who is regarded as hard-hearted and unfeeling – người cực kỳ lạnh lùng
- She hardly ever speaks to anyone. She’s a cold fish.
20. Culture vulture
A culture vulture refers to someone who loves culture, i.e. art, theatre, literature, music etc.. – người đam mê văn hoá
- If you’re a culture vulture, New York has everything you could want – opera, theatre, museums, and more.
- She is quite the culture vulture. She attends the theater at least once a month.
21. Pain in the neck
An irritating, annoying person – của nợ, người phiền toái.
- This calculus homework is a pain in the neck. It’s not that I don’t understand it, it’s just so tedious!
- That child is a real pain in the neck.
22. (to have) a memory like a sieve/ a memory like a goldfish
To have a terrible memory – não cá vàng
- He’s got a memory like a goldfish. I tell him something and he immediately forgets.
23. (to be) as bold as brass
Someone who acts boldly, is overly confident and does not care about the consequences of their actions or about what people will think or say/ with extreme confidence or without the respect or politeness people usually show – trơ tráo như gáo múc dầu
- She marched into the store, as bold as brass, and demanded her money back.
24. Fat cat
Someone who has a lot of money, especially someone in charge of a company who has the power to increase their own pay – giàu có, quyền lực.
- The report criticized boardroom fat cats who award themselves huge pay increases.
- I’m no fat cat.I can’t even pay my normal bills.
- That’s a fat-cat kind of house—something we middle-class people can only dream about.
25. Head and shoulders above
Much better than other people or things – người/ vật giỏi hơn phần còn lại.
- Natasha is head and shoulders above the other dancers in her age group.
- There’s no competition – Ronald is head and shoulders above the rest.
- I think John should definitely get the job—he’s head and shoulders above all the other applicants.
Hy vọn 25 Idioms miêu tả người đã giúp bạn có những cách diễn đạt thật tốt trong phần thi IELTS Speaking của mình nhé! Chúc các bạn luyện thi IELTS thật tốt! Và nếu đang lay hoay không biết nên học IELTS sao cho hiệu quả, nhanh chóng thì hãy nhanh tay ĐẶT HẸN để Vietop tư vấn bạn nhé!