Chủ đề Language có thể được xem là tương đối khó nhằn đối với phần lớn học viên do chúng ta thật sự không có quá nhiều kiến thức cũng như lượng từ vựng tương thích với chủ đề này. Nội dung bài viết này Vietop sẽ giới thiệu một số từ vựng liên quan và bài viết mẫu để tham khảo.
A few languages are increasingly spoken in different countries, while the use of others is rapidly declining. It is a positive or negative development?
The 21st century has witnessed an unprecedented dominance of some languages, which is in stark contrast to the deterioration of some others. My firm conviction is that this trend has both positive and negative consequences in equal measure.
The emergence of universal languages, on the one hand, facilitates communication. English, for example, is spoken by hundreds of millions of speakers all over the world in recent years, and it is safe to say that with that enormous number of speakers, language barriers are basically no longer a big hindrance. With language-related problems becoming technically non-existent, tourists can acquire a sense of security when they travel to many different places around the world, knowing that there would be someone who speaks English or Chinese. On an economic level, having lingua francas greatly boosts transnational commerce, with a great number of nations benefiting from selling more products and receiving investments.
On the other hand, such a trend greatly undermines cultures. Since languages are inextricably bound up to cultural identity, the prevalence of one or two languages may bring in its wake the loss of cultural activities, rituals and core values. In Vietnam, for instance, Tết holiday has been gradually less significant every year, with more foreign festivals such as Halloween or Thanksgiving Day gaining in increasing popularity, and many people doubt that this phenomenon may take its roots from excessive exposure to the English language on the social media. Moreover, speakers of less dominant languages may feel inferior to native speakers of more popular ones and vice versa. Conflicts between people of different races and ethnicities may arise as a result.
In conclusion, my firm conviction is that the dominance of some languages over others can bring both merits and defects. Wise users of languages, therefore, should decide on a compromise between taking advantage of international languages and preserving less popular ones.
2. Từ vựng
1. unprecedented: chưa từng thấy
2. in equal measure: ở mức độ ngang nhau
3. facilitate: đơn giản hóa
4. language barriers: rào cản ngôn ngữ
5. hindrance: một chướng ngại
6. non-existent: không tồn tại
7. lingua franca: ngôn ngữ chung, được nhiều người trong cộng đồng sử dụng
8. prevalence: sự áp đảo
9. bring in its wake: mang theo nó
10. core values: giá trị cốt lõi
11. ethnicity: chủng tộc
3. Chủ đề liên quan
Một số đề có liên quan đến chủ đề Language, các bạn có thể tham khảo vào luyện viết thử:
- Some people think governments should spend money on measures to save laguages with few speakers from dying out completely. Others think this is a waste of financial resources. Discuss both view and give your opinion.
- The advantages brought by the spread of English as a “global language” will continue to outweight the disadvantages. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- In order to learn a language well, we should also learn about the country as well as the cultures and lifestyles of the people who speak this language. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think all students should learn a foreign language. Others believe that students should not learn a foreign language if she or he does not have the talent for it. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think it is better for children to beginto learn a foreign language at primary school than at secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh disadvantages?
- Some people think we should invent a new language for international communication. Do the benefits of this outweigh the problems?
- In several years many languages die out. Some say it is not important because if we speak fewer languages life would be easier. Do you agree or disagree?
Thông qua bài viết chắc hẵn các bạn đã có cho mình thêm những kinh nghiệm và cách hoàn thiện chủ đề Language. Nếu các bạn có thắc mắc hoặc có những đề tài thú vị khác thì có liên hệ với chúng tôi, Vietop sẽ luôn cố gắng dễ hỗ trợ bạn tốt nhất.
Chủ đề IELTS Writing task 2: