The table shows information about department stores and online stores in Australia in 2011. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
The table compares the statistics of Australian department stores and online stores in 2011. Six indicators were mentioned in the table, namely the number of businesses, profit, sales revenue and growth rates.
The initial impression from the table is that the number of online stores dominated their department counterparts and had a slight edge in profit, sales revenue and growth.
The number of online stores was almost sixfold higher than that of department stores. In terms of revenue, 67 physical stores generated 12 700 million AUD compared to 13 400 million AUD of 368 online stores.
A similar pattern is evident in terms of sales revenue. Online retailing claimed 863 million AUD in profit, which was 46 million more than traditional retailing. It is also shown that online business growth rate was at 0.6%, which was higher than that for department stores by a 0.2% margin.
- to dominate (v): vượt trội, chiếm ưu thế
- to have a slight edge (expression, verb): có chút lợi thế
- sixfold (adj): gấp sáu. Công thức: n-fold (n = two, three, four,…)
- to generate (v): làm ra, tạo ra
- A similar pattern is evident in (expression): Xu thế tương tự có thể thấy ở …
It is a natural process for animal species to become extinct (e.g. dinosaur, dodo…) There is no reason why people should try to prevent this from happening. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Some people opine that extinction is a part of nature and preventing it from happening is futile. I partly disagree with this notion because there is a distinction between natural and human-induced extinction, and the latter may prove to be catastrophic to both humans and animals.
On the one hand, it is neither useful nor financially possible to try to save every species on planet Earth. The natural environments and habitats have been changing for billions of years. Throughout this timeframe, animal species have adapted to the changes or evolved into new species in order to survive. While one day it may be technologically feasible to preserve all animals in artificial environments, it will surely cost a prohibitive amount of tax money for research and implementation. Furthermore, the objective of such projects is questionable as they only provide insights that only the elite scientists have the ability to grasp, and it does not address what I believe is the main cause of mass extinction: human activities.
On the other hand, I argue that we must be conscious that a wave of human-influenced mass extinction can also negatively affect our survival and that we have to make efforts to save the important animals. Human activities have led to global climate change, deforestation, severe pollution, and overhunting that consequently put a plethora of animals on the brink of extinction, including the keystone species. This could inflict irreparable damage to our societies in its wake. Take sharks that prey on seals for example, their population has been on the decline, owing to overfishing. With the limited presence of their predators, the seal population has multiplied and they have started to consume other fish that humans use as food at an unprecedented rate. If rules and regulation or education are not established to stop fishermen from driving sharks out of existence, we could expect a shortage of fish as a protein source in the near future.
In conclusion, I think that it is prudent for our society to ensure the survival of particular species. However, this must be done strategically as not to waste further resources.
- human-induced: có sự ảnh hưởng của người
- habitat (n): sinh cảnh, môi trường sống
- to adapt (v): thích nghi
- feasible (adj): khả thi
- prohibitive amount of (expression) + noun: một số lượng lớn đến nổi không thực hiện được mục đích.
- implementation (n): việc thi hành
- to grasp (v): (nghĩa bóng) hiểu. Đồng nghĩa: to understand.
- human-influence (adj): có sự ảnh hưởng của con người
- on the brink of extinction (expression): bên bờ tuyệt chủng
- keystone species (expression, noun): loài chủ chốt
- irreparable (adj): không chữa lành được, không bù đắp được
- unprecedented (adj): chưa có tiền lệ
- Đề luyện tập IELTS Writing Task 1, 2 ngày 12.08.2021
- Bài mẫu đề IELTS Writing Task 1 và 2 ngày 17-07-2021
- Bài mẫu đề IELTS Writing Task 1 và 2 ngày 12-06-2021
- Bài mẫu đề thi IELTS Writing Task 1 và 2 ngày 15-05-2021
- Bài mẫu đề thi IELTS Writing Task 1 và 2 ngày 17-04-2021
- Bài mẫu IELTS Writing task 1 và 2 ngày 27-03-2021
- Bài mẫu IELTS Writing task 1 và 2 ngày 27-02-2021
- Bài mẫu IELTS Writing Task 1 và 2 ngày 09-01-2021